Subject: (no subject)
From: Jim Thomas (jthomas@math.niu.edu)
Date: Thu May 07 2009 - 22:39:12 CDT
Subject: Ottawa Hills History to 1957
A Brief History of Ottawa Hills High School
an old photograph of ottaw hills high school
1925-1957
By Mable C. Tenhaaf - English Teacher
On April 30, 1923, The Grand Rapids Board of Education voted to purchase
two city blocks, about six acres of land, between Alexander Road and
Iroquois and Cadillac Drives for $28,000. On this land was to be built
Ottawa Hills High School; the name was stipulated in the deed to the
property.
Many people expressed doubts about the location of the school, for it
was almost at the southeast edge of the city, and there were few houses
in the neighborhood. Time, however, proved that those who located the
school far in the field were men of vision. In thirty years the city had
grown so much that plans were being considered for a junior high school
still farther to the southeast to meet the needs of the increasing
school population.
The building was started in 1924 and was finished the next spring. To
carry out the Indian theme suggested by the name of the school, designs
taken from Indian pottery, blankets, and rugs were used in a border
about the main entrance, and directly above the door was an Indian head,
which was later adopted as the symbol of the school.
In September, 1925, the doors of Ottawa Hills High School opened to
about 650 students and thirty teachers under the direction of the first
principal, Henry D. MacNaughton. Many of the teachers came from Strong
Junior High School, where they had taught with Mr. MacNaughton. The
Students came primarily from Central and South High Schools. Grades 7-1
to 10-2 were included.
In the early days not only was there plenty of space around the school,
but there was so much space inside the building that during the first
winter many of the faculty parked there cars in a room known then as the
garage, now as a general shop. But the days of space unlimited did not
last long. In 1929 two large home rooms, and six class rooms were added
above the shops. As four rooms on the first floor were taken over by the
elementary grades. The much expanded high school population, now about
1465, was still very crowded. In 1931 the elementary wing was added to
the building, two floors being used by the elementary grades, and a
third floor by the high school. In 1939-1940 the high school enrollment
had reached 1801, and the crowding increased as the elementary grades
took over some of the rooms on the third floor. The congregation
continued until 1953, when Mulick Park Elementary School opened, and the
High School regained some of the much needed space.
Although some changes have been made in the curriculum, the basic
courses are much the same. Commercial, vocational and college
preparatory courses were offered when the school opened, and they are
all offered today. In the first few years of the School three semesters
of algebra, three of geometry, and one of trigonometry were available in
addition to the general and business mathematics courses. In the school
year 1956-1957, a fourth semester of algebra was added. This made it
possible for a college preparatory student to have four years of
mathematics. In addition to the general science studied in the eighth
grade, a number of courses may be taken. The botany and zoology of
earlier days have been replaced with a year of biology. Chemistry and
physics are still taught, and physiology and physical science, one
semester of each. Greater changes have been made in the foreign language
department. Formerly it was possible for a student to have four years of
Latin or three years of French. Now two-year courses may be taken in
Latin, French, and Spanish. In September 1957 German will be taught. The
majority of Ottawa students go to college. Indicative of the number who
continue their education is the enrollment in four academic departments.
In the year 1956-1957 there were 320 students in foreign language
courses, nearly 100 in Algebra III and IV and trigonometry, 110 in
Chemistry, about 50 in physics, and 30 in physical science. From a
senior class of 217 there were 150 English VII and VIII, college
preparatory courses.
An important part of any school is the library. When Ottawa Hills was
opened, the library was a branch of the Ryerson Library. Miss Clara Mast
was the first librarian. She was joined in a few years by Miss Grace
Beeby, and these two devoted book lovers remained in charge of the
library until it was taken over by the Board of Education in 1942. At
that time Miss Mast and Miss Beeby retired, and Miss Isabella
Krzyminski, now Mrs. Herbert Sullivan, became the head librarian, a
position which she still holds. The school has indeed been fortunate in
having three people, so capable and so enthusiastic about their work, in
charge of this essential department.
The Ottawa Library has been consistently rated satisfactory by the
University of Michigan. Two large, pleasant reading rooms, a conference
room, work and storage rooms, and an office for the librarian afford
adequate space. An attractive feature in one reading room is a literary
mural painted by Kreigh Collins during the depression years as a WPA
artist project. Famous Characters from literature from Paul Bunyan to
Omar Khayyam look down upon the students reading of their deeds.
The annual circulation at the Ottawa Library is about 30,500 books and
7000 magazines which are charged out in addition to those used in the
library. Last year over 600 new books were added to the collection. Two
trained librarians and an active Library Club of thirty members work
tirelessly to serve the school.
One measurement of the influence of Ottawa Hills High School on the
community can be found in the membership three organizations. Over 1200
parents belong to the Parent-Teacher-Student Association. Among their
contributions to the school have been annual summer scholarships in
music, art, and dramatics for student of exceptional ability, as well as
instruments for the music department, a tachistoscope to aid in
developmental reading, and furnishings for a faculty lunchroom.
The Quarterback Club of nearly 800 members is interested in all sports
for the boys. It helps to provide athletic equipment, promotes trips for
athletic teams, and furnishes an annual dinner for team members.
The OHBO Club, an organization of about 200 members, helps to provide
musical instruments and music scholarships.
Probably one reason for the enthusiastic support given to Ottawa Hills
by the parents is the fact that many are former Students of the school,
who are interested in continuing the worthy traditions of early days and
in helping their school to advance.
The influence of former Ottawa students is apparent not only in the
school but also in the community as a whole. Graduates of Ottawa are to
be found in the medical and the legal professions in Grand Rapids, in
the ministry and in the schools, in banks and in real estate, in
business and in industry, as well as in musical organizations.
The School has pressing problems today as it did a quarter of a century
ago, and one of these is the same lack of space. Classes in home
economics have neither sufficient space nor modern equipment. Another
need is a program for the mentally retarded pupils in the school, one
geared to their interests and abilities, in which they can proceed at
their own rate to develop essential skills and attitudes as far as is
possible for them.
During the thirty years and more that Ottawa has been in existence, many
honors have come to the school as the trophy cases in the school
corridors show. The school has won the City All Sports Trophy six times.
It has won 39 city championships and seven state championships in
sports. Banners and plaques testify to the triumphs in debate and
forensics. In journalism the Legend, Ottawa's Yearbook, has won five
All-American ratings, and the Spectator, the school newspaper, has won
four All-American ratings, the latest being in the year 1956-1957.
There are other honors that have come to Ottawa, honors that bring a
feeling of sadness as well as pride. One is the service roll in the main
corridor. Here are the names of over 1050 Ottawanians who served their
country in the time of war. The other is a beautiful silver-covered
bronze memorial to the fifty-three students of Ottawa who gave their
lives for their country in World War II. This tribute, just inside the
main entrance, was designed by Marshall Fredericks and purchased with
funds earned by students.
During the years there have been many changes among the faculty. None of
the thirty teachers who came with Mr. MacNaughton from Strong Junior
High School or who joined the staff the first year are now at Ottawa
Hills. Miss Elizabeth Matheson, the first cafeteria director who
provided frequent teas for the faculty; Mrs. Jennie Van Dyke, whose
sterling character made her an inspiration in the Junior High School;
Harry Richardson, head of the science department; Sidney Byckman, head
of commercial department and for years the school treasurer; Don Toland,
popular mathematics teacher; these are no longer living. Miss Alma
Seegmiller, for years the head of the mathematics department and beloved
senior adviser, is now at Junior College. Henry Ludwick, the first
teacher of boys' physical education and for years the basketball coach
is now assistant principal at Central High School.
Merwyn Mitchell, at present a music instructor at Ottawa and Miss Lencre
Bader, head of the mathematics department, came at the beginning of the
second year. Miss Bertha Lewis, English instructor, and Miss Mable
Tenhaaf, head of the English department, joined the faculty at the
beginning of the third year. These four teachers are the only ones who
have been on the faculty for thirty years or more.
Ottawa has been very fortunate in having had during thirty-two years of
the guidance of principals who were devoted to their work. Mr.
MacNaughton, affectionately known as "Mac," the first "Chief," lead the
Ottawa tribe for twenty-five years. Among his many outstanding
qualities, two were of prime importance to the school. The first was his
exceptional ability as an organizer. Whether it was all due to native
talent or whether it was partly the result of his military experience,
Mr. MacNaughton's skill in making out a program was the wonder of the
faculty. His ability was apparent in all the activities of the school
and was undoubtedly the main reason for the successful development of
Ottawa. A second characteristic was leadership. An indication of the way
the students felt toward Mr. MacNaughton may be found in the way those
former students, now parents, still refer with warm regard to "Mac," and
in the pleasure with which they recall the early days of the school.
From October 1939, to November 1941, and again from May 1942, to August
1943, Mr. MacNaughton, a reserve officer, was recalled to active duty in
the army. During that time Michael Schillenger was acting principal. He
was a kindly, earnest man who served the school wholeheartedly and
efficiently.
Elmo Wierenga, the present principal of Ottawa, is a young man with a
sincere love for boys and girls and a great faith in people. These
qualities are apparent in all his contacts with students and parents.
Ottawa is his work and his entertainment, his vocation and his
avocation. He is a worthy successor to the first "Chief."
Best Regards,
Dave Furtney
13347 Golf Pointe Drive,
Port Charlotte, Florida 33953-4675
Cell: (330) 607-4760 Office: (941)882-8043
dd942@yahoo.com
Ottawa Hills High School Discussion List - 1959
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b28 : Wed Sep 23 2009 - 14:10:56 CDT